Tuesday, July 28, 2009

How do I use a non-visual compiler?

I was trying to program some stuff using C++ and I got a free non-visual compiler from Borland (have no idea what verson, name, and etc.) It's on my desktop and it only says "freecommandLinetools". So I worked myself into a corner when I tryed to compile it, easy enough, I know how to work Windows Explorer (haha), and some DOS and I know enough to do so with confidence.


So I go to the the Command Prompt, type in:





c:\borland\bcc55\bin\bcc32.exe [and location of script]





and it doesn't work, says it can't locate it and stuff. Then I gave up programming all together so now I realize that I could ask someone in Yahoo! Answers.


So I don't know what I did wrong. I typed in word for word, checked it over and over and no results.


Is it just me and DOS or it's just the compiler? Tell me how to enter the commands because when I space, it assumes that I gave it different locations for each word spaced.

How do I use a non-visual compiler?
dos does not allow the spacing of the directory structure like you see in windows. (aka my folder is not my folder in dos it's something like ~my).


i never did figure out the screwy system it uses to figure out what it's going to call the folder SO i personallya llways just traveled through the directory in dos to find what i needed then copyed and used it form there.





on a totally seperate note:


why use a borland comannd line compiler?





visual studio 2005 express is free!


c++ and c++.net and c# all available free for you to work with.


a visual ide is about 5000x easier to learn with.





don't like microsoft? djgpp also free! don't like djgpp and microsoft but want to use c# anyways? sharpdevelop.





bottom line. use an ide it will save SO much hassle thats why they made them.





can program for the .net runtime with only notepad but no one does that because it's insanely hard to do. thats why people get the ide =P
Reply:The only non visual compiler I use is the gcc :-)


On windows, how about trying bloodshed


http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html





Its open source and free and I have never had a problem with it in my 2 years of trying it out!

florist shop

No comments:

Post a Comment